Friday, July 11, 2008

Harry Potter: How Old is Too Old?

So, just a question... at what age is it inappropriate to love the Harry Potter Series? Is it age 30?
Or if you are in the act of reading "The Half-Blood Prince" when you turn 35, do you instantly become a creep? Are kids and teenagers the only ones allowed to love the Harry Potter books?
I'm just asking; it’s not that I love Harry Potter or anything. I mean, the books are fun to read, and I'm totally looking forward to the next movie and everything, and I think Severus Snape is the coolest character in any non-kids’ story I've read in the last 10 years (number of non-kids’ stories I've read besides Harry Potter in the last 10 years = possible to count on one hand), but I'm totally NOT a Potter Freak™ or anything.
Does it mean you're a Potter Freak if you have watched all the movies at least once in the last 3 months? What if you like watching the movies at night, listening to the books on your iPod during your commute, and reading the books in any spare minute you have? I would imagine that someone who did all those things, AND was also over age 30 could be considered a freak; glad I've never done that.

8 comments:

Sarah Allen said...

Just have to say, I agree about Snape. Coolest character by far!

Unknown said...

Gotta argue that the whole Weasley family are the best characters ever!

I am glad that some fictional Potter freak is out there..it makes me feel so much more normal.

Mrs. Olsen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Olsen said...

In college I became fascinated with the Harry Potter phenomenon when my 8 year nephew was reading the books AND my fellow college English Majors were also snarfing them down. My phenomenon went so far as to watch a couple of the movies, but not reading the books. I'll pipe in that if you are over 30 and still can't sleep the until the midnight release, then you just might be a freak.

acte gratuit said...

Todd Powell likes 'em, and he's WAY old. So I think hypothetical you is safe.

amburrito: Judge not by the movies. You must read the books.

JON TROUTMAN'O'MAN said...

"Harry Potter: How Long is Too Long (for you to leave this as your most recent blog entry)?"

The Clark said...

nerd

Mrs. Olsen said...

Hey Turkeypants, you're fired. I want Jill to post something now.